Sunday, November 2, 2008

Proof Positive That I Am Not A Young Man

This weekend, a few of my old friends from my first sea tour on the USS Nimitz came out to visit because we were all going to another of our friends' wedding on Sunday evening. Needless to say, on SATURDAY evening, we all went out and drank way too much...

A good time was had by all, but I had forgotten just how bad a hangover could be. Sunday morning, I woke up with a slight headache, which increased in intensity as soon as I stood up, to the point where I had to sit back down. I went to the kitchen and tossed back 2 excedrin with some coffee and toast, but it still took me about 2 hours to feel 100% again.

I hardly drink anymore anyway, not because I don't like to drink - I do - but because I have so much going on in my life (parenting, working, etc.) I seldom ever do, and when I do I only have 2 or 3 beers at the most.

I'm not sure if I'm just not used to it anymore, or if I never really experienced this reaction before. The surprising thing to me is that I didn't think that I had that much to drink, although looking back on it, I guess I did. I never felt sick, or dizzy, or out of control while I was out though, and when I was younger it was only when I did feel that way that I actually got a hangover the next day. Now it seems, I will be rewarded with one any time I have more than six beers.

So, I have either lost my tolerance, or I have simply gotten older. At 36, that is kind of depressing.

No comments: